11.25.2008

In my Opinion....


Every so often I become inspired to be grumpy, crotchety, catty... I think it occurs in all of us, but not all of us express it. This is one of those days for me.

So...

Just saw both Liza Minelli and Tom Jones within an hour, live, on morning TV. First, I have to say I'm not a dedicated career follower of either. Tom Jones is pushing 70 and Minelli is just over 60. I don't think it's just a gender/sexual thing when I say Jones looks 10 years younger and sounds light years better today than Liza has for the past 20 years. Maybe it's just good ol' hardy Welsh genes, but whatever it is, he's pleasing to listen to, and Minelli's voice sends me diving under the table. (Checking out some of her fairly recent reviews, I feel like the little kid in the story "The Emperor's New Clothes.")

From the "You just can't win" department: I'm hearing now that grumbling has surfaced about Obama not attending church since the election, and about his registering his kids for private school in Washington rather than public school. Jeez, guys... doesn't the phrase 'sitting duck' come to mind? I'd prefer he stay in his house and lay low until inauguration day, thanks.

"Boston Legal" is my guilty pleasure, and I could forgo the first 50 minutes of any episode just to savor the balcony scene. But last night's Thanksgiving show (the last one of the series) was such a true-to-life joy. Not a gripe, just sayin'....

LOL!!!! Elizabeth Hasselhoff just called Larry King 'opinionated' ... that's classic...

Holiday birthdays: We should figure out how to have a group hug. No one singing happy birthday to us in school, and if our birthday falls on a BIG holiday, we're pretty much largely ignored/forgotten. My birthday, January 1st, is annoying because both Christmas and NYD's gifts were great excuses to say "remember, that OTHER gift day had to be counted in..." I know, I know... grateful and all that...but kids just don't think that way. I'm not sure which would be worse--having a Christmas birthday with all the hoop-la spread around among all the guests and all, or New Year's Day, where pretty much everyone is either hung over or anxiously waiting to see if their favorite 'bowl game bet will be successful or not. Feh. If I had to choose one, July 4 seems nice. All those fireworks you can pretend are just for you...

To bring this diatribelette to a positive end, I'd like to mention a TV 'star' of sorts who should probably have a series of his own, or at least be a major part of one -- that's the guy who does the Jimmy Dean sausage commercial, Haynes Brooke. The only non-commercial acting I've seen him in was an episode of Medium, where he played her husband's alter ego; I think he should be grabbed up by some casting director for a chance at a series of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment